Snow!

One Mitten by Kristine O’Connell George
Snow by Manya Stojic
Snow Happy! By Patricia Hubbell
Snow! Snow! Snow! By Lee Harper
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats

Flannelboards

Flannel Activity: “Matching Mittens”

Flannelboard: “Five Little Snowflakes”
One little snowflake with nothing to do,
Along came another and then there were…two!
Two little snowflakes laughing with me,
Along came another and then there were…three!
Three little snowflakes looking for some more,
Along came another and then there were…four!
Four little snowflakes dancing a jive,
Along came another and then there were…five!
Five little snowflakes, having so much fun!
Out came the sun, and then there were none!
Credit: DLTK

Extension Activities

Fingerplay: “Here’s a Hill”
Here’s a hill (tilt left arm so that it forms a hill)
And here’s a hill (tilt right arm so that it forms a hill)
All covered with snow (raise hands up, bring down in slow motion)
I’ll put on my coat (put coat on)
And jump on my sled (hold the rope of a sled)
And ZOOM, down the hill I will go! (clap hands, slid hands down)
Credit: The Holiday Zone

Action Song: “Winter Hokey Pokey”
You put your mittens in, you take your mittens out
You put your boots in, you take your boots out
You put your hat in, you put your hat out
You put your coat in, you put your coat out
Credit: Step By Step — Winter Theme

Craft

This was a craft that I got from KidsSoup. The kids had a ton of fun putting stickers all over their paper plates!

How It Went

This was a great storytime! I had a giant group since this was during Winter Break — so lots of siblings attended as well as a lot of families whose kids are now in preschool during my storytime! It was great to see a full rug; over forty people in attendance! (That is A LOT for my library.) The craft led to a lot of creativity and I was glad that I didn’t make an example so that parents forced their kids to make it “like Miss Katie’s!” Their favorite book was probably “Snow Happy!”

8 Comments on “Snow!”

1. Elizabeth Allen
    February 24, 2012 at 10:49 am #

I can’t find the alphabet puzzles and I HAVE TO HAVE THESE! Please help!

• Katie
      February 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

I can’t upload them or I’d be breaking copyright law — I don’t have permission to distribute Microsoft Office’s clipart.

It’s super easy to make though! Please give it a try!

2. Barb Thompson
    November 20, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Great storytime. I will be a Winter storytime in January 2013 and plan to use many of your ideas. One that I will add is the book Jingle, Jingle by Nicola Smee. The kids just love it. Then I have them sing Jingle Bells while shaking bells. Loads of fun!

3. Tia
    January 21, 2013 at 12:04 am #

Was the craft hat just one piece of the plate….or connected to the other to make an actual hat?

• Katie
      January 22, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

I only used one half of a plate. We had some left-over elastic from another program that we used to make the hats wearable.

4. Jolanda Garcia
    April 5, 2013 at 11:17 am #

Hi Katie,
    We love how your winter hat turned out. Very cute. Please add a link to KidsSoup,com to give us credit for the craft idea. We appreciate your support.

• Katie
      April 5, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

Sure; no problem!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. January Crafts | Miss LibrariAnna - January 31, 2013

[...] found this great kids craft on Pinterest from Story Time Katie with this cute, yet simple idea! The kids loved this craft. I had boys and girls. Toddlers and [...]