For an overview of the Book Bundles and Parenting Packs early literacy kits, please visit the original post. The cost listed is the list price of each item, regardless of whether or not we got it on sale/discount. The activity sheets amount was calculated by cost of binder clip + lamination sheets.
- Backpack ($7.39) — 4Imprint
- Colors by DK Publishing ($6.99) — Baker & Taylor
- Monsters Love Colors by Mike Austin ($15.99) — Baker & Taylor
- Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh ($16.99) — Baker & Taylor
- Lakeshore Learning: Colorpillar Magnetic Maze ($19.99) — Lakeshore Learning
- Learning Resources: Color Mixing Lenses ($7.99) — Learning Resources
- Vinyl Bag ($2.99) — The Container Store
- Activity Sheets ($2.55) — created in-house
For the book selection here, I went with a board book with bold colors (Colors), a new favorite of mine and many patrons (Monster Love Colors!), and a classic that has fallen out of major circulation here (Mouse Paint). This perfect mixture (haha! it’s a color pun!) really feels balanced to me and I’m happy to reintroduce an old favorite to the patrons again.
The Colorpillar maze is one of the harder manipulatives to play with and I have heard some feedback that it isn’t easy for a two-year-old. That being said, I’m okay with having a project that they can grow into in the Bundle. I’ve watched a preschooler concentrate on this toy for about an hour in the library and I think it’s perfect for that age group. I definitely recommend using this puzzle in the car because the pieces won’t go everywhere.
To introduce a little bit of science, I was super excited to include the Color Mixing Lenses. This is a great set to introduce “proof” that primary colors mixed together make secondary. I have noticed that it doesn’t work as well under fluorescents, but I encourage my families to try it in natural light on the activity guide.
It’s the beginning of May and the Colors Book Bundle has gone out 14 times since launching at the end of November! It is our most popular Bundle if you’re looking at circulation numbers alone.