Flannel Friday: Pete the Cat

I’m back! After a ridiculously long Flannel Friday (and blog) holiday, I’ve finally dusted off the flannel kit and made some new materials!

But I think the most important question here is how have I not already flannelized Pete the Cat??

I was inspired by Lisa at Libraryland to make my Pete standing up so that I could do all the Pete stories. Right now, I only made enough pieces for “I Love My White Shoes.”

Already, I’ve used this in an outreach visit and also during “Socks and Shoes” storytime — it was a big hit!

K is hosting this week’s Flannel Friday round-up. You can visit her blog to link up with us! For more information about Flannel Friday and joining us, please visit the Flannel Friday website.

17 comments on “Flannel Friday: Pete the Cat

1. Anne (@sotomorrow)
    January 11, 2013 at 9:03 am #

Love Pete’s expression here!

• Katie
      January 14, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

Thanks! He is a most expressive cat!

2. libraryquine
    January 11, 2013 at 11:02 am #

I’m thinking that Pete is wondering why you didn’t get around to making him sooner. I’m also wondering why I haven’t made him either (now on the to do list) 😊

• Katie
      January 14, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

Glad to have added to the to-do list! It’s always ever-growing.

3. jane
    January 11, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

My feelings exactly…why haven’t I flannelized Pete? I even printed out the pattern…but not there yet. I did notice that Pete’s eyes give him all the expression…so maybe I’ll make a variety of eyes…And maybe this is why I haven’t yet flannelized him. I needed this Ah-ha moment!
    ~ jane

• Katie
      January 14, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

Oh, man! Now I’m sad that I didn’t think to make different sets of eyes. That would have been awesome for the kids to play with after storytime!

4. Lisa Mulvenna
    January 12, 2013 at 9:30 am #

I love Pete. Really, is there another story time character that has coolness and can highlight colors and numbers?

• Katie
      January 14, 2013 at 5:53 pm #

And what is especially cool about Pete is that I haven’t met a kid yet who didn’t like him!

5. jeninthelibrary
    January 13, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

I am also wondering how I do not have a Pete the Cat flannel set. Must get on that! Yours turned out so well!

• Katie
      January 14, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

Thank you! Definitely add Pete to your to-do list!

6. Paula
    February 7, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

The kids love Pete the Cat at my library! My flannel stuff doesn’t turn out as good as yours and I think my Pete the Cat is laminated. I was also lucky enough to stumble upon a website that does book character costume rental and by some miracle managed to book the Pete the Cat for our Sweet Corn Days in August which means we will be throwing a Pete the Cat party!

• Katie
      February 11, 2013 at 10:52 am #

You must post a picture of your Pete the Cat party! I know that your patrons will LOVE it.

7. Alexis Kestner
    January 26, 2016 at 6:56 pm #

My grandson ie a big fan of Pete The Cat and I was wondering if you knew where I could get the patterns to make the felt story boards

• Katie
      June 7, 2016 at 1:01 pm #

I actually use photocopies of the books for the templates.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Socks and Shoes! | storytime katie - May 16, 2014

[…] Flannelboard: “Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes” […]

2. Flannel Friday: Pete the Cat Update! | storytime katie - April 3, 2015

[…] by saying that Pete the Cat is my hero. Or at least one of them. I made this update to my Pete for a […]

3. Toddlers: Music | storytime katie - June 23, 2015