Letter H!

Clip Clop by Nicola Smee
Heads by Matthew Van Fleet
Leap Back Home to Me by Lauren Thompson
My Heart Is Like a Zoo by Michael Hall
Say Hello! by Rachel Isadora

Extension Activities

Flannelboard: “Where Is Maisy Mouse?”

Flannelboard Puzzle: “Letter H”

Action Rhyme: “How Do You Say Hi?” (Do actions as they are said.)
Hey! Hi! Howdy! Yo!
There are many ways to say hello!
Wave your hand. No your head.
Smile big or wink instead.
Blow a kiss. Tip your hat.
Shake your hands. Give a pat.
Of all the ways to say hello,
Here’s the way I like to go…HELLO!
Credit: Transitional Songs

Action Song: “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes”

Fingerplay: “Houses”
Here is a nest for robin (cup both hands)
Here is a hive for bee (fists together)
Here is a hole for bunny (make a circle)
And here is a house for ME! (make a roof)
Credit: Perry Public Library

Craft

I found this WONDERFUL letter craft at Totally Tots. I haven’t been doing every craft with the letter in the craft, but have been instead striving for the easiest craft possible at the daycare setting!

How It Went

This was probably my last easy letter before a couple of ones I’ll struggle with (I and J), so I made sure to have a lot of fun picking books for letter H! I’ve had “Heads” in our storytime collection for over a year at the library and haven’t used it in a storytime until now — the group went NUTS for this interactive board book. It was definitely the hit of the day. (Really, all of the books went amazing because I LOVE all of the books so!) It’s been a while since I played “Little Mouse” with this group, but they still remember/love the Maisy flannelboard when it comes out. All in all, just another perfect storytime with this group.

9 comments on “Letter H!

1. libraryquine
    April 25, 2012 at 9:09 am #

Hi,
    I love the Hello action rhyme. I’ve not come across it before and it seems like it would be a lot of fun. BTW, I’ve put in an order for the book ‘Heads’ straight away!

• Katie
      April 25, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

You will LOVE “Heads.” One of my favorite discoveries this year!

2. nikarella
    April 25, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

Love the craft! When I did my alphabet series I used a lot of books that just had the word “I” in them for the letter I. And for “J” a lot of jungle books. It seemed to work!

• Katie
      April 25, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

I’m actually presenting K this week, but for “J” I wound up using jungle, jellyfish, jump, jokes, and the book “Joey and Jet.” And as for “I” I wound up using ice cream, igloo, iguana, insect, and island! This alphabet series is REALLY challenging me as a librarian.

• nikarella
        April 25, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

It is! I think I had to combine a few letters towards the end, but it ended up being the perfect amount of storytimes since ours are in 6 week sessions.

• Katie
        April 25, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

I’ve already decided that I’m XYZ-ing it. And I might need to UV it as well. U — umbrella, underwear, under…that’s okay. But I think V will be a bigger challenge: violin, vegetables, violets?

3. Mike Golczynski
    February 26, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

Hello! I’m a relatively new librarian and I just want to thank you for all the ideas. They really help me out in a pinch as I get my portfolio built!

• Katie
      March 4, 2014 at 8:10 pm #

You’re welcome!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. ABC Storytime Resource Post | storytime katie - November 21, 2012

[…] A Letter B Letter C Letter D Letter E Letter F Letter G Letter H Letter I Letter J Letter K Letter L Letter M Letter N Letter O Letter P Letter Q Letter R Letter S […]