Pizza!

Books

Hi, Pizza Man! by Virginia Walter
Pete’s a Pizza by William Steig
Pizza at Sally’s by Monica Wellington
The Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza by Philemon Sturges

Extension Activities

Flannelboard: “The Pizza That Sally Made”

Action Rhyme: “Pizza Man, Pizza Man”
Pizza man, pizza man, turn around
Pizza man, pizza man, touch the ground
Pizza man, pizza man, reach up high
Pizza man, pizza man, touch the sky
Pizza man, pizza man, find your nose
Pizza man, pizza man, touch your toes
Pizza man, pizza man, find your knees
Pizza man, pizza man, sit down, please!
Credit: Modified from childhood; idea from Awesome Storytime

Action Song: “If You Wanna Eat Some Pizza”
If you want to eat some pizza, clap your hands!
If you want to eat some pizza, clap your hands!
If you like bubbly cheese then just say, “Pizza please!”
If you want to eat some pizza, clap your hands!
Credit: Awesome Storytime

Fingerplay: “Pizza Man”
Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, pizza man (clap hands)
Make me a pizza as fast as you can (shake finger)
Roll it (roll)
Toss it (pretend to toss in air)
Sprinkle it with cheese (sprinkling motions)
Put it in the oven (pushing motion)
And bake it fast, please!
Credit: SurLaLune Storytime

Craft

This was a craft from KidsSoup, and it was very simple! I could have cut out tons of toppings, but I find most kids just prefer cheese at this age.

How It Went

Pizza storytime was SO fun! I love doing this theme because there are some great pizza books out there. Their favorite books were “Hi, Pizza Man!” and “Pizza at Sally’s.” I did not have a good group for “The Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza,” so I wound up abbreviating a lot of the humor in that book. It made me a little sad, but you have to roll with the punches in storytime! Their favorite extension activity was, of course, “If You Wanna Eat a Pizza.”

7 Comments on “Pizza!”

1. Meg
    June 4, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

This is one of my all-time favorite story time themes, and I use the exact books you do. I read “Pete’s a Pizza” because I think it is such a wonderful way to show parents how they can be playful to connect with their children emotionally. LOVE your craft; I’ll be doing this when regular story times resume in the fall.

• Katie
      June 5, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

Yes, I think “Pete’s a Pizza” is VERY important to teach parents to play with their kids. We had a lot of parents laughing during that one, most of the kids kept insisting that they couldn’t cook Pete! Enjoy the craft — it is definitely a winner!

2. Amy
    June 5, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

I keep hoping “Hi Pizza Man!” will come back into print. Our copy is so very worn.

• Katie
      June 6, 2012 at 10:58 am #

Me too! Ours has been weeded due to condition, but I bought a used copy online for storytime only.

3. Beth @ More Than True
    June 7, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

Ooh, I like this! There’s a song from _Signing Time_ called “Silly Pizza Song” that would fit in, too.

• Katie
      June 9, 2012 at 11:59 am #

I know that song! I should definitely include that next time. :D

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. SONGS | The Pizza Song « Hey, Pilgrim! - October 1, 2012

[...] at Storytime Katie Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like [...]