Flannelboard: “I’m the Biggest Thing in the Ocean”

A quick break before I get my new storytime post up this Friday to say that I finished up a flannelboard that I actually made on the plane ride home from ALA Annual. I saved the painting portion for my library, but my co-worker bought me tiny Tacky Glue bottles from Michael’s so that I could bring them in my carry-on luggage. (And thus, cut and glue the pieces on the plane.) I was VERY lucky to not have anyone sitting next to me on the ride home from San Diego.

Anyway, I got the template for “I’m the Biggest Thing in the Ocean” at Kizclub. I added the backing of the light blue (which is the same color as our flannelboard’s large ocean piece), so that it was easier to put up several pieces at a time. The story is, of course, by Kevin Sherry.

If you’re making this set, I highly recommend taping the whole template down over the octopus/squid legs. It will give you much cleaner cuts, even during turbulence!

11 Comments on “Flannelboard: “I’m the Biggest Thing in the Ocean””

1. Abby
    January 26, 2011 at 8:41 pm #

OMG You have the cutest flannels EVER!!! We *love* this book, too. I am so having my staff work on this.

• Katie
      January 27, 2011 at 9:13 am #

Thanks, Abby! I really love Kizclub for getting templates — then have a TON of stuff.

2. sarah
    January 27, 2011 at 8:29 am #

I can’t believe you did this on the plane! this is a whole new level of dedication. did any of the librarians on your flight mention they knew you were a librarian because of the flannel board?…. when i went to the ya lit symposium this fall the librarians on our flight knew because my co-worker was knitting and I was reading Loved Drugged. hilarious.

• Katie
      January 27, 2011 at 9:15 am #

No one said anything to me (I suspect because I combat ear pressure with very loud music in my ears and constant gum chewing), but I definitely had fellow librarians in front of me because one was reading “Shipbreaker” and the other was reading “Moon Over Manifest.” I knew I was in good company! (Also, the plane ride is LONG and BORING. I had to do something, and I had already read two books each way.)

3. Kelly Anderson
    January 31, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

Hi Katie,
    Can you post a larger picture of this flannel board? I am definitely going to make it but I’m having trouble seeing how the shrimp and clams look in felt.
    Thanks!
    p.s. I’ve made “Dear Zoo” and “Seals on the Bus” and will post pictures soon!

• Katie
      January 31, 2011 at 7:07 pm #

Sure! Bigger picture is here. I hope that helps you, and I’d *love* to see pictures of your flannels.

4. Kelly Anderson
    February 2, 2011 at 12:28 am #

Posted pics of finished flannelboards :) I’m stilling working on “I’m the Biggest Thing in the Ocean”… I just have to find a really big piece of grey felt around here somewhere.

• Katie
      February 3, 2011 at 11:16 pm #

If you have a JoAnns by you, that’s where I get my big pieces. They sell felt by the yard.

5. Kelly Anderson
    February 2, 2011 at 12:29 am #

Forgot to post a link: http://kanderson77.blogspot.com/2011/02/flannelboards.html

6. nikarella
    March 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

I just found your blog and I absolutley love it! Your flannel boards are great, I’m going to make some of the same :) Thanks for sharing.

• Katie